Strawberry picking in one of my favorite summertime activities, and just one reason I can't wait for summer. It's been a little gloomy here in the bay area, so I've decided to just look past these gray clouds and usher summer in a little early at my house. These DIY Strawberry Magnets are a fun and colorful way to dress up a fridge or message board! I decided to make these strawberries into kitchen magnets because they perfectly complement the Strawberry Herb Planter I made for my kitchen a few weeks ago. If you missed that project please click here to see it! After moving from L.A. to the bay area this year, I'm a little nostalgic for the beach cities so I'm using these magnets to hold up a fun photo of Venice Beach from one of my favorite photographers and friend Lisa Nanakorn (check out her photography here). Now let's make some strawberries!
- Silicone mold (Strawberries)
- E6000 glue
- Craft Paint in red, yellow, and green (I used Martha Stewart's brand)
- Paint brush
- Craft Plaster
- ziplock bag (optional)
- scissors (optional)
1. Mix your plaster according to the instructions on the label. The craft plaster I used called for 1.5 cups plaster to 1 cup water ratio. Plaster is very easy to work with and all I did was mix the plaster and water in a small ziplock bag. Then once it was fully mixed without any lumps, I snipped one corner with scissors and used it as a piping bag to fill my silicone strawberry mold. I actually found the mold at the dollar store :)
2. I filled my molds to the very top and let the plaster dry for an hour
3. After about an hour I was able to easily remove the strawberries from the mold, but they were still a little tender so I let them dry in the open air for another hour
4. Once the plaster hardened, I painted the strawberry using green, red, and yellow for the seeds
5. Allow the strawberries to dry for about 30 minutes
6. Finally, I glued the magnets to the back of each strawberry using E6000 glue
Just looking at these colorful strawberry magnets makes me so excited for summer!
Made with love,